I upgraded my copy of Oracle VM VirtualBox this morning to the latest version, that being version 4.3.12. What I hadn’t banked on was having to install Guest Additions again after the upgrade completed, I remember doing this in the past and it being quite a simple process however I’d forgotten the steps required so I thought I’d document them here.
To set the scene I’m running Windows 7 and am using VM VirtualBox to boot into various Linux installs or guests, in this scenario Xubuntu.
- Boot into your guest as normal.
- In your VM VirtualBox select Install Guest Additions under the Devices menu.
- The Guest Additions ISO will mount on your guests desktop as a CDROM.
- Open a terminal and navigate to the CDROM, this was under /media/ for me but other systems may vary.
- Examine the content of the ISO directory and look for VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
- In your terminal window run sudo sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
- Reboot once installation is complete.
sudo sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run